Hokitika


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hokitika
April 7th 2009
Published: April 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hokitika 2nd - 4th April 2009

We had planned to just overnight at Hokitika, but luckily decided to do a little exploring as we had heard there was a beautiful gorge there. The weather was still lovely so we drove to the gorge. It really was incredible - the blue of the water had to be seen to be believed. I was tempted to go for a swim, but when I dangled my fingers in the water they were almost instantly numbed with the cold. There was no way I was going in!

On the way back from the gorge we stopped at a memorial for seven policemen who were shot by a farmer in the 1940's when he went crazy. The story of what happened was written next to the memorial. It was very moving. There's been a film made about it - 'Bad Blood' - will have to try to watch it when we get home.

We spent the rest of the morning walking around Lake Kaniere where we found a deserted beach and I got my swim - the water was lovely, not cold at all. In the afternoon I walked along the beach, while Rob watched cricket at the campsite!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Hokitika GorgeHokitika Gorge
Hokitika Gorge

How incredible is the colour of the water!
Kaniere LakeKaniere Lake
Kaniere Lake

Me swimming in the lake


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb