Picton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
April 21st 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kaikora - 'To Eat Crayfish' was the first stopping point on my way up to Picton, and it was here that I realised how much I was going to like NZ. Dramatic scenery with small towns crammed into the valley floors. The further North we got the scenery just got better and better until I reched Picton.

Just like Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsundays to many NZ backpackers Picton is a gateway to the North Island. But unlike the shitehole of Airlie Beach Picton is lovely. It's beautiful high grassy mountains, intricate arrangements of bays and lovely blue waters. It reminds be very much of the best of the Scottish Lochs.

I went for a walk - a 4 hour round trip up to a point called The Snout. The views all along the way were great, and the track was in pretty good condition and started in the middle of town. Despite this it was hardly busy - in the UK it would be filled with parents dragging screaming kids up it saying "are we nearly there yet".

Picton is not meant to be the most beautfiul place in NZ by a long shot - so I cant wait for what is to come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb