Outstanding Otago Peninsula and Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago
March 3rd 2013
Published: March 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our exploration of Dunedin started with a walk along George Street from our apartment to The Octagon the focal point in Dunedin. It was just like being in a Scottish city with many familiar street and place names.

After a visit to St Paul’s Cathedral it was a short walk down hill to the famous Dunedin Railway Station, opened in 1906. Many of Dunedin’s finest Victorian buildings are attributed to architect Robert Lawson and the First Church is a particularly elegant building reputed to be his finest.

In the early evening we had a stroll through the University of Otago site, the University was founded in 1869, New Zealand’s oldest University. After we walked to the Botanic Gardens and found an excellent aviary with many different bird varieties.

A nature day followed with a tour around the outstanding Otago Peninsula. We had a super drive in our old Mazda wagon hire vehicle along the coast to Portobella. We stopped for lunch overlooking the harbour then continued to Taiaroa Head. This was an amazing place with super views of the cliffs and we saw fur seals on the rocks and one very large sea lion. There were many seabirds and apart from gulls we saw a spoonbill, cormorants and the royal albatross with it’s amazing wingspan.

We continued our tour via Hooper’s Inlet and saw many ducks. Our climb up Sandymount was worth the effort with fantastic panoramic views of the Otago Peninsula and the mainland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



3rd March 2013

The beauty of Dunedin
Great photos once again - I adore the architecture of Dunedin especially that magnificent Railyway Station. Good to see you're both enjoying the finer things in life such as natural beauty and wildlife!! M xx

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb