Day 5 - it must be Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Dunedin
November 8th 2004
Published: November 8th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Hello all
Had a good journey down from C'church to Dunedin vie Oamaru. Set off late from C'church due to delays with campervan so stopped a night in Oamaru. went to see the yellow eye penguins on the way but could only see them from about 100m away on the beach. Stopped for lunch on the beach and saw these boulders - amazing geological phenomenon. Called in at Shag Point and spotted several fur seals on the rocks.
Arrived Dunedin Sunday and went out to Otago peninsula ( went along the Highcliffe Rd to get there - sheer drops and tight bends but great views if you could bear to look - the driver couldn't and the passenger wouldn't and wanted to get out and walk - not fot the fainthearted!! ) to see the yellow eye penguins at close quarters. They are in a conservation/breeding area and all the money from visitors is used to pay for the work. Only 4000 of these penguins in the world now and all around south NZ. Cost $NZ30 = about 12.00 and well worth it. All penguins are tagged at birth and named. This one - Samson - was right outside the hide within 1m of us. went on to Pilot Beach as it went dusk to see the blue eye penguins coming ashore. They are only about 25cm tall at most and really cute. You can't take photos as you would need flash in the dark and frighten them. Met up with Lizzie Tyrell after walking the heritage trail in Dunedin.
Going to stay with her parents in Nelson in about 8 days time. Had a nice chat over coffee. Moving on to Te Anau tomorrow into Fiordland and then on to Queenstown. Everyone says we will love it over on the west coast
Bye for now
Derek & Joan


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb