New Zealand - South island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
March 6th 2015
Published: March 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Howdy everyone, we have now arrived at Oamaru which is by the coast. We left Akaroa at 1/4 to 9 this morning and started the 'hairy scarey ride' here. It was raining so hard, completely different than yesterday! now have to get the winter clothes out !! Anyway took us 5 hours with one coffee stop on the way, so not too bad. We just keep forgetting how long the distances are, you look at the map and think, that's not far and then you work it out and it's like half a day gone. It seems what is estimated, you need to add a further hour on the trip. We arrived at 'Old Bones lodge', very nice, we have our own room indoors !! That's a bonus !! Shared bathroom but very nice. The communal living room is cosey with log fire and the kitchen is big and well fitted out. So tonight I'm going to cook something for us and then we are off to see the Penguins. I love penguins, we are going to find the blue and yellow eyed penguins. We are pretty remote out here, this is just a stop over tonight to break up our journey as we are travelling to Dunedin tomorrow.

It appears that more guests are arriving, thought we were the only one's here. An American girl is here, now two elderly English ladies have turned up. No youngsters, I'm sure when we arrived in the hostel in Akaroa they thought 'Crikey, Mum and Dad have arrived' !! Just talking to one of the English ladies and she said she is from Somerset, but said her relatives live in, wait for it 'Shirley' !! Even named the roads, Melrose Road and Pentire Avenue. Oh, a chap has now turned up, he look's young, I think he is from Japan, possibly, his English doesn't appear to be very good. The lodge is full up tonight so will be meeting more people, it's good as you get tips from them especially if they have already been to the places we are going to. Everyone loves talking about their experiences, I gotta say, fair play to these two elderly ladies who must be 70 plus, they have there sat nav, one said she is the nominated driver, said it was the 3rd time they have come out to NZ, they just love it. There currently sat here on their I pads having a cuppa. They have already given us good tips and driving times to get to these places.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th March 2015

NZ
Hello you two,I get excited when I see another blog from you...must get out more!! Love Dolly.x
6th March 2015

Hi
Good, we aim to please. Off out in a moment to find the penguins, but it seems a trifle windy out there, winter woollies are about to be dragged out of the suitcase !!
6th March 2015

"Crikey!!"
Oh Karol, you make me giggle with every entry! Now you're even talking the lingo! ! " I can just hear the Queen of Shirley with her new found friend and distant neighbour, discussing all they miss of that ever so special town........the town that even the South Africans fear to tread!! "CRIKEY!!" Sorry I've not commented more but I will do from now on! You are very much missed here in the ever changing FEC but for your own Sanity, I feel a future in travel blogging is the way forward!! I will pray for yours and St's safety....especially after seeing those pics of those horrendous spiders!! Ew!! Have fun Mrs Muir!! Xxx Jeanine

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb