Pretty Places to see


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
September 20th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

10pm - Yesterday was eventful to say the least.

It started as normal, we awoke in the pretty hostel in Akaroa and as with all hostels needed to leave @ 10am.

Having packed we checked out a few of the local shops including a pretty little gem shop where we were both given a small, scented fake rose (Claire just named them aROSEatherapy). The previous evening after our cliff top drive we had met an american girl named Olivia at our hostel. She gave us many tips on where to visit both here and in Oz and happily befriended Claire because of their shared addiction to Rum.

After looking around the cute town yesterday, we (I) drove to Oamaru. This is a slightly larger town known for its 2 penguin colonies (Both yellow and blue eyed) so after finding a cutish hostelwe headed just down the road to check them out.

The Yellow eyed colony is a slightly futher walk than the blue and the penguins come in earlier so we headed their first. Apon entering the first colony (heading to the yellow) we saw a seal laying right next to the top stone, barely moving, near the tourist spot. After a photo we headed to the other beach to spot some yellow eyed penguins.

Shock, Horror the other beach was deserted but i found a collection of oysters (sadly none with pearls though i did make claire look) with lots of mother of pearl inside.

Gathering a few we headed back to the first colony.

This we soon learnt was our first mistake.

Journeying back Claire joiked about holes in the rock face being the penguins homes, ironically seconds later, literally, a baby yellow eyed penguin popped his head out. Awwwww!

We continued back to the first colony and noticed the seal still there. On further inspection (brace yourself this is quite sad) we saw that there was a baby seal by its side, dead, and the mother seal was badly hurt and obviously grieving for her loss.

Kindy we decided (with a tear in my eye, my word im a wimp) to report this, only to learn that not only did they know but they were keeping it quiet (SHIT, DONT WANNA RUIN YOUR BOOMING TOURIST TRADE DO WE!) We then noticed that having come out to inform the workers we now needed to pay to get back onto the PUBLIC property to see the penguins as it was after 6pm. Now this annoyed me but WOW was claire peed off.

SCARY CLAIRE EMERGED!!!

She ignored all signs, ranting angrily and headed back in.

I do believe that if nothing else that she found my worry at Quote "Breaking and Entering" funny.

Eventually we were Obviously asked to leave but low and behold when i got back to the hotel room at 6:30ish i found i'd lost my purse. At the penguin place. BUGGER!!!

Back we went, and later with a torch Claire had to re-enter the colony amongst the penguins and luckily for me found my purse on the first beach after walking along the dark, high-drop edge. In her words she had "Never been so scared in her life".

She did, however, see the many penguins we were previously thrown out from seeing so WOOOOOO, IN YOUR FACE PROFIT MAKING ORGANISATIONS. 1-0 TO CLAIRE!.

Not much to report today. Drove down to a busy university town, with the oldest university in New Zealand called Dunedin to stay for a couple of nights. Its a really busy town with tons of live music, bars and artistic influence. Meaning that both myself and Claire have fallen in love with the place and want to move here.

Feeling quite ill today so have literally grabbed dinner and gone to a few bars, all very pretty before heading back to the hostel.

Kelly x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.465s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.3672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb