Visiting Robert and the Abel Tasman national park


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region
March 4th 2005
Published: March 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Boat Show on Lake RotoitiBoat Show on Lake RotoitiBoat Show on Lake Rotoiti

People taking boat rides on the lake with a fabulous background.
The Queen Charlotte Drive
Named after an 18th Dutch Queen (this is from a hazy memory now) the Queen Charlotte sounds are an absolutely breathtaking area of New Zealand. They're unspoilt and pristine with countless miles of coastline that winds in and out and in and out seemingly forever - the best way by far to see them would be to sail around them, but we only had the option of driving along the specatacular Queen Charlotte Drive which winds its way from near Picton (where the ferry goes from) along the coastline to the Pelorus river. The road then goes inland and turns into the highway to Nelson - which is what we followed.
At times this drive is so beautiful, you just have to stop and look (as is so common in New Zealand) down the Sounds - you can see for miles. Words really fail describing the beauty of this area, so the pictures will have to suffice. Until, that is, you see it for yourself some time in the future!

Meeting up with Robert
Robert is a man Sarah and I met completely by chance while visiting the Dinosaur fossil site near Sucre, Bolivia. We exchanged
Queen Charlotte SoundQueen Charlotte SoundQueen Charlotte Sound

We took the Queen Charlotte Drive to Nelson.
a few words whilst commenting on the amazing fossils - and an idle comment about our dwindling supplies of fossil fuels (and oil in particular) got us chatting. A shared view on the world's coming problems lead us to exchange details and I promised to look Robert up when we eventually got to New Zealand. He had also promised to take me flying in his glider, so it was an offer I couldn't refuse.
So, we found our way to Robert's pad after doing the Queen Charlotte drive. Not knowing what to expect, we were confronted with Robert's wonderful, if a little 'unfinished', built-by-hand house. He showed us around and explained his story (ask me about it if you're interested) and we ended up making a spaghetti bolognaise while discussing various things over a bottle of wine.
Robert is a fascinating man, interested in almost everything and knowledgeable about many many things. He's also a fellow New Scientist reader so we had plenty to talk about, the prime thrust of the conversation being about how we're going to make the transition from a fossil fuel-dependent society, to one that is more sustainable over the long-term. (Robert's house is self-sufficient in
A bit of homeA bit of homeA bit of home

Proof of how English New Zealand is.
electricity and hot water using electric solar panels and solar heaters.)

The next day we drove to nearby Lake Rotoiti where the gliding was taking place and myself and Sarah booked ourselves in for a ride. Two thrilling rides later, we were accuainted with gliders.
On the way back we stopped at the fabulous annual boat show at the lake itself - they had everything up to and including some fantastic little steam-powered boats to take the punters for rides. I think there was even some punting, too.

Sea Kayaking on the Abel Tasman
What Tasmania's named after, Abel Tasman was an explorer back in the 19th century who did a lot of discovering and exploring. Hence, you can probably work out who the Abel Tasman peninsula is named after, too.
Again, I will let the pictures do most of the talking - we sea-kayaked for 2 days and spent one night in a DOC campsite halfway.
The area we kayaked around is rightly famous for its beauty - the prime thing that caught my imagination was the way there are 99 beaches in the miriad coves and nooks along the coast. As the tide rises and falls
View of Nelson from Robert's houseView of Nelson from Robert's houseView of Nelson from Robert's house

Possibly the house with the best view in Nelson.
the beaches appear and disappear; you can paddle for a while, look back from whence you came and see four or five new beaches! It's amazing to see it happen, and we had perfect weather so it really was wholly brilliant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Pete and Sarah at the boat showPete and Sarah at the boat show
Pete and Sarah at the boat show

A cute little steam boat in the background.
Working HardWorking Hard
Working Hard

Pete on the kayak
Perfect way to see the parkPerfect way to see the park
Perfect way to see the park

Sarah on the kayak


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0977s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb