pleasure and pain !!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
September 28th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

slight break in the blog and alots been happening......

so the journey continues onto Franz Josef glacier. There was some poetic licence in the description of the 'rain forest canopy' !! but the tree hut was very nice and comfortable and the private spa was relaxing away from everyone else.
The glacier was a full on days hiking - sunny in the morning turning to hailstones. Quite a few narrow gaps in the ice for Phil to squeeze through and the crampons meant i didn't end up on my arse on the slippery sections. How those guides do it everyday i'll never know.

Off to Greymouth next - yes liz and pete it's a bit uninspiring there isn't it glad we jumped straight on the train.
Lovely Tranz Alpine train ride lots of views and little sprinkle of snow - very funny moment on arthurs pass train station where an older lady took her friends photo next to the sign and realised she'd blocked out the P so it said Arthurs ass instead. Phil didn't want to repeat the photo as it was no longer original comedy!!!

Back to earthquake aftershokes in christchurch. The weather turned beautifully sunny and very hot. Went to the aquerium and watched a randy kiwi try to break into the females enclosure - phil liked the little fella! Slightly underwelmed by the aquarium but it was only a little place and they did have some seahorses so i was happy.
Phil go himself a genuine Mauri tattoo done - apparently it's really painful to be tattooed on your calf, or so i could gather from the facial expressions!!
Went to a very sunny rugby match - earthquake special so free beer and a great game, Canterbury won so everyone was pleased. Watch out for Sunny Bill Williams in the upcoming All Blacks tour he's HUGE !!

Leaving the aftershocks behind we dragged ourselves out of bed very early to get the Tranzscenic train to Kaikoura.
VERY nice place. Weather held and was beautifully sunny and hot. Managed to do so many activities on Monday that we could hardly keep up with it all ...
8.30 am swimming with dolphins. Wild dusky dolphins around the Kaikoura peninsula. Just AMAZING !!
1pm off for bbq fresh fish lunch and i mean fresh out of the sea
4.30 pm evening sea kayaking to see the fur seals watched the sun go down from on the water just us and the guide
7pm off for dinner at local seafood resteraunt
9pm star gazing on the pnainsula. looked at venus and jupiter and watched the southern cross move across the sky. the milkyway just about blew my mind, not to mention the 2 next closest galaxys that you can see there - just about zero light pollution (except the rugby training ground mon and wed !!)

So after that we're rather tired today and just travelled to Nelson. waiting for our wine tour tomorrow (thanks jess and mike)

I'll keep you posted

F and P xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



29th September 2010

Tattoo
Phil that is one awesome tattoo. D wants one quite badly now but I think it is a bit far for him to travel especially for that. Maybe one day. Keep the posts coming when you need a break from all the activities. Jealous of all the animal bits myself.

Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb