HikerLand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Heaphy
February 12th 2007
Published: February 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today it occurred to me that New-Zealand is the theme park of hiking. Two hikers meet, and something like the following conversation takes place- "have you done the x track yet?" "no, I went to do y so I didn't had time yet", "well, you should, it's really great!". It's sounds just like two kids in Disneyland comparing rides. Some tracks are easier, some harder, some very popular so there's a line (great walks), and they are all around the islands. Backpackers are just going all around, sleeping in designed hostels, going on the hikes and comparing them. There are tracks for every taste and preference, with forests, mountains, water or even glaciers, and they are all very close to each other. And because no theme operates without management, here they have DOC, New-Zealand Department Of Conservation. They maintain the facilities (like huts you can sleep in on the tracks or even improving the trails) handle the lines (booking for the popular hikes) and of course charge you for everything.
Well, having said that, I do hope they don't have men dressed up in kiwi birds suits running around the island. I really hate those things.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb