shambhala


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Golden Bay
January 18th 2006
Published: January 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

beach at shambhalabeach at shambhalabeach at shambhala

nice evening walk....an endless beach.
i know the goodness that is shambhala now. i think michelle wrote about this place on her blog so if you need to refresh i refer you to her blog. a quick recap though. it is a sustainable living, low impact hostel. the toilets are long drops with compost. the electricity, all of it, comes from solar panels. the water comes from collection tanks. it is a great place that attracts all sorts of people. it is set far from any road and on a hill overlooking the ocean with a path down to a very private section of beach. i took a long walk on the beach....for over two hours walking i didn't see a single person.

an adventure the next day....a big, unexpected adventure!! first, i'm sorry to michelle. so, my plan for the day was to hike on farwell spit....a huge long sandbar at the very tip of the south island. michelle drove me out and she was planning on hanging out in a cafe while i walked. we made plans to meet a a specific car park down the road. we decided on 3 hours. the walk took me 4 hours. mistake number 1. it was beautiful, and again i didn't see anyone. when i arrived at the car park michelle wasn't there. i didn't expect her to wait....so i started walking along the dirt road. there was only one and i figured she'd gone to a beach further down the road so i walked that way. mistake number 2. i walked all the way to the beach and no michelle. so i started walking back. finally i passed our meeting place and started back to where we initially parted ways....and she came driving down the road. i felt horrible about it. michelle said, 'buddy, you just need to learn to stay put.' hehe....

that evening we ventured out to the local bar. the mussell inn. there was a live band playing and the place was packed. the crowd is worth visiting this place for. it was packed with locals....a huge artist community....i saw a man with purple hair wearing a nightgown, a woman in an elf hat, bikers, woodsmen, backpackers. crazy people watching.

that's all she wrote. we're off to the glaciers tomorrow.

be well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

farewell spitfarewell spit
farewell spit

late late
farewell spitfarewell spit
farewell spit

long beach


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb