Nelson Area


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Golden Bay
February 15th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the Abel Tasman Coastal Walk we went further North-west to visit the beautiful quiet area of Golden bay where we based ourselves in a place called Takaka. There we visited Ngarua Cave which had amazing limestone formations Id never seen before! It was really cool. They were really interesting I never expected it to be that good.- a hidden gem. Next we visited Pupu Springs which boast to have the clearest water in all of nz. It was weird the clarity of the water is so clear it appears alot less deeper than it actually is. The clarity deceives the how deep it actually is. There is also a section named 'Dancing Sands' that kickes up sand on the river bed naturally. ??? it really weird - It explains that there is a network of natural aquaducts under the river bed which shoots water up even under the water.
After we left Takaka we went to do our second tramp together in Nelson Lakes called 'the Lake Angelus walk' based near a place called St Arnud which was a small town of about 40 people literally.
We began the walk by by climbing this extremely steep mountain named Mount Robert which had some amazing views of the surrounding scenery and the beautiful Lake Rotoroa. we then had to walk along the ridge of the Mountain which had breathtaking views of the endless mountain tops in the West. The walk became really unorthodox as me and Richard had to clamber over rocks where we had to be really intelligent in chosing our route of path through the boulders as a loose rock could result in a straight fall down the entire mountain side. althoguh hard work it was really worth it. After a long struggle crossing different mountain ridges we called to a large crator shape in the mountain where lake Angelus was positioned. it was a beautiful setting. The water was beautifully clear and crisp blue with a beatutiful backdrop of endless mountains going into the distance.
The next day we went along a entirely different terrain where we descended steeply down the valley leading back towards Lake Rotoroa It was a really nice walk among the forests and a total difference in scenery. However i think I prefer the Mountain landscape.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Pupu Springs - TakakaPupu Springs - Takaka
Pupu Springs - Takaka

The clearest water in NZ
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

At the Top of Mount Roberts
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

At the Top of Mount Roberts
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

On top of the ridge
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

Me posing
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

Me posing again lol!
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

Lake Angulus - sunrise
Nelson LakesNelson Lakes
Nelson Lakes

Our Journey back through the valley


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb