Mount Cook & Oamaru


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The drive to Mount Cook (the largest mountain in NZ standing at about 4000m) was pretty long. We stopped along the way at Lake Tekapo, it was not the picture perfect scene, there was a lot of low cloud meaning you could not see the mountains in the background but with a little imagination it looked great!!! Tonight was the first night of Nibby cooking for 7 days and we head baked fish. Lovely only 6 more meals to go..

We walked the hooker track today a scenic walk along the valley to the base of the Mt Cook Glacier. At the bottom there was a glacier lake which had icebergs floating in it, some big some small they were real cool. The lake itself was dead calm and we entertained ourselves for about an hour skimming stones. We invented some new games on the way back the funniest was “ I am the animal man I come from down your way........” (followed by various of animal noises) the menu for Nibbys second dinner was fajitas they were a bit to spicy for Matty!!!

The strangest thing happened the next day, we were walking up a track in Mount
Mount Cook National ParkMount Cook National ParkMount Cook National Park

View from the hostel
Cook National Park to get a good look at the Tasman Glacier and the huge icebergs when a girl came up to Nibby and asked if she went to UWE and was her name Nibby? Turns out she used to live with a girl on Nibby's course at University!!!! How crazy is that!!!!! We chatted at the top of the walk and they were heading in a similar direction so we agreed to meet up later in the week. After this chance encounter we walked the Kea Point track where we had a great view of Mount Cook. We then drove back to the East coast to Oamaru where we saw Little Blue Penguins climbing out of the sea and into there burrows in little mounds. The little blue Penguin is the smallest Penguin alive today.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hooker Valley TrackHooker Valley Track
Hooker Valley Track

Matty on the swingbridge
Hooker Valley TrackHooker Valley Track
Hooker Valley Track

View of river and Mount Cook - Nibby has painted this before!!!
Hooker Valley TrackHooker Valley Track
Hooker Valley Track

Skimming Stones
Hooker Valley TrackHooker Valley Track
Hooker Valley Track

He should join the circus
Kea Point TrackKea Point Track
Kea Point Track

View of Mount Cook
Tasman GlacierTasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier

The icebergs are massive!!
Tasman GlacierTasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier

What a chance encounter to meet Lucy from UWE
OamaruOamaru
Oamaru

Pengiuns Crossing


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb