Mount Cook


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the drive to Mount Cook we had beautiful weather and fantastic scenery. Just 1 hour before the Mount Cook National Park is Lake Tekapo - a beautiful still lake reflecting the mountainous scenery around it. We just went snap happy - everywhere we looked was a view worth capturing. At the lake we met a group of lads making their way down to Queenstown from Christchurch (a mamouth 10 hour journey). We were glad we would be having a night in Mount Cook to break the journey. There is a pretty little church perched on the rock face overlooking Lake Tekapo, and a statue a bit further down of a Collie dog....it was almost impossible to set off further than half a kilometer down the road before we stopped for more photos.

Eventually we pulled ourselves away, and 1 hour later and a few winding roads we arrived in Mount Cook National park and at our DOC (Department of Conservation) campsite. DOC sites are very basic but much cheaper than holiday campsite options, and also you find them in national parks and areas that are pretected so the scenery is so much better. The campsite had a few very basic amenities - toilet block and a wooden hut with tables to sit at - it was actually really nice. We made ourselves some pasta using our gas stove and just managed to get it eaten before the light faded. There is absolutely no power at these DOC sites so you have to rely on your own means. But - wow - the views as the sun went down were amazing, the pink sunset and the silhouettes of the enormous mountains were spectacular. We were still pretty blown away by it all.

We settled in to our campervan for the night and wrapped up warm. We knew tonight would be colder than last night seeing as we were pretty much open to the elements - just ourselves and one other campervan surrounded by impossing snow capped mountains. It was a bit chilly, and we both woke up a bit stiff, but once we drew back the curtain and saw the sun rising we forgot about the cold and got our clothes on to tackle the day ahead. First things first - a hot cup of tea from the gas stove and the key in the ignition for some warmth.

A short 2.5 km drive and we were in Mount Cook village - really just a few timber lodges and a school, very pretty though. After arriving the night before we still couldn't figure out which one of the mountains was actually Mount Cook - they all looked pretty massive to us. We headed to Tasmin Glacier next - just 8km down the road and then a 20 minute climb and we were looking over the glacier - awesome. There was also an information board which pointed out the names of all of the mountians which helped us find Mount Cook. It is taller than all the rest of them, but it's position makes it look smaller from where we were.

By midday we were on the road and heading to our next destination - Wanaka, for some skiing!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb