Ski Planes and Glacial Moraines


Advertisement
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just did a lot of blog and then the PC crashed so this will be a new briefer one as we're running out of time!!

Arrived at Mount Cook with stunning scenery and the lodge we were staying in was very well appointed with views of all the mountains. We noticed we'd also got a puncture on the way so would sort that out when we left for Dunedin! Went for a short walk on the day we arrived as got there late afternoon. The next morning, we managed to get onto a scenic flight with Mount Cook Ski Planes. This was an amazing experience and involved a landing on a glacier along with a 50 minute flight, there and back. To see the mountains from the air was really great - and we got some excellent photos. Coming in at a steep angle to land on skis on the glacier was a very unusual experience (in a good way!) and we had 15 mins to wander round on the ice, which was 1500 feet thick.

That afternoon we went for a 5hour walk, to a place called Hooker Lake (again at the bottom of another glacier).

The next day we left on a beautiful drive to Dunedin - next installment to follow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb