Sun 22nd April - Nelson to the Abel Tasmin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Motueka
April 22nd 2007
Published: April 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After packing the van and filling up with fresh water we headed for Nelson. After a lovely wander along Maitai River that snakes through the town we headed for the Cathedral one of the largest in NZ, The town was very quiet being a Sunday but had a nice feel to it. Nelson is both a busy port and the gateway to the Abel Tasmin.

We headed out of town on R6 for our destination of Motueka at the southern most tip of the Abel Tasmin National Park. Abel Tasmin was a Dutch explorer who discovered Tasmania and also has Mount Tasmin after him.

On route throught the Nelson winelands we stopped at a winery called Ruby Bay owned by a Scotsman from Perth. We sampled his very young wines and bought a couple of bottles.

Opposite the vineyard we also saw a sign advertising olive oil for sale so we drove into the farm.

We are warmly welcomed by David and Deborah (originally from Kenilworth Warwickshire) who owned the 10 acre farm. After chatting over a beer and a tour of the farm on a quad bike we bought some oil and headed onto Motueka.

Motueka it has to be said is a pretty weird place. Let me explain it this way. Motueka is a sleepy little town living mainly off tourism. The main high street included about 5 restaurants with a sex shop in the middle. Obviously the residents don’t have much else to do!!

After a couple of beers and a bet in the TAB (Bookies) we hit the hay.

Ta Ta for now K & M


Advertisement



24th May 2007

no horse didn't win unfortunately, and yes Kirsten did the flying fox, I've attached a photo.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb