Sat 21st April – Ferry to the South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
April 21st 2007
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the FerryOn the FerryOn the Ferry

Approaching the South Island
It was an early start this morning at 6.00am to travel to the ferry port in Wellington to catch the 7.30am Interisland Ferry to Picton. It’s another beautiful morning and the water is flat calm. It’s a 3 hour crossing to the south island but after 2 hours you enter the Marlborough sounds which are spectacular. You get the most wonderful view form the ferry. Here’s a question for you! What’s the difference between a Fjord and a sound? Answer to come shortly!

We arrived at Picton a quaint little town and port that we wandered around for an hour before heading on for or final destination of Nelson 120km to the west.

What a great drive along route 6. It starts out through a lovely flat valley of vineyards before rising into the Richmond Mountain range and back down into Nelson.

This area of NZ apparently has the most sun and the best climate, similar to that of the south of France. We arrived in Nelson at around 4.00pm and headed for tourist info for some brochures on the Abel Tasmin National Park where we are spending the next 3 days.

The coastal area of
On the FerryOn the FerryOn the Ferry

Entering the Marlborough Sounds
Nelson was the first place that really showed sign of wealth with expensive beach front properties perched on the cliffs between Nelson and Richmond. We are staying at the Richmond Top 10, which is lovely, and after dinner of Spaghetti courtesy of Kirsten we hit the hay.

Ta Ta for now K & M



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

On the FerryOn the Ferry
On the Ferry

Docking at Picton
In PictonIn Picton
In Picton

War Memorial with harbour in the background.


24th May 2007

Hello
You guys must be having an amazing time- it's been great getting in to work and have something to take my mind off the monotony of the daily grind!!! hope you are both well and looking forward to seeing you and having some beers/wine on your return. Bye for now Gary, Gemma and Erin
24th May 2007

DId you get that job?
Hi Gary, thanks for the comment. Did you get that new job? Hope you are all well. See you in July!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb