WOW, what a week!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
September 19th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, what a week (actually 8 days, but who’s counting!!) After the game against Argentina we set off for the Catlins, a beautiful, wild, natural place at the most southernly area of the island. We stayed two days and experienced waves the height of which we’ve never seen, woke before dawn to spot yellow eyed penguins as they left their nesting grounds to swim miles out to sea to fish and stood at the most southernly point of inhabited mainland New Zealand, with the next stop being the South pole! Me and Dad had a few minutes together there as I told him I hoped he could see what we were seeing, as I knew it would have blown him away <3 We also saw a fossilized forest from the jurassic period that appears in the rocks at low tide and numerous other awesome sights that I can’t find the words to describe.

After this we thought that there was nothing that could beat it, but we headed through Invergargill and Te-anu (the Doubtful Sound is the most peaceful place ever, with it’s lake and cathedral mountains) and headed through the very snowy peaks towards Milford Sound. Fortunately the avalanche warnings were low that day (a couple of days before the road had been closed!) We stayed overnight and caught the first boat trip around The Sound, taking in Mitre Peak, seals, the tiniest penguin ever!!, a possible dolphin sighting and some of the most amazing mountains, waterfalls and breathtaking scenery we have ever experienced in our lives.

The drive to and from Milford Sound was quite scary (for me!) as the road twists and turns with “no stopping” signs in case of avalances or rock falls and as the islands are experiencing an unseasonal cold snap the snow at high levels was a sight to be seen!! Unfortunately, some of our plans have had to be changed, hence the boat trip instead of kyaking the waters of the Sound, and at the moment the balloon ride may become a plane ride over the glaciers to Mount Cook and Fox Glacier instead....but whose’s complaining 😊

After the breathtaking views we drove to Queenstown (the adrenalin city of New Zealand) where neither of us felt the urge to bungy jump or do any other similarly crazy activity. We did say however that we’d like to the Shotover speed boat ride through the gorge, with full 360 degree turns and we’re heading off to do that this week, along with the flight.

What we did do in Queenstown was wake to the most beautiful view of the lake and mountains in all it’s glory (WOW!) and vowed we’d be back.

We then needed to head back to Dunedin for the Georgia game and stayed in the middle of Dolamore country park for the night before heading back. The game was ok (I suppose!) we looked better than the week before, but then we were up against a lesser team (sorry Georgia!), so we’ll see how the real competition goes against Scotland in Auckland in two weeks time.

Today, we’ve visited the Countries award winning brewery “Speights” where they still use the same copper vats and equipment that they used in the 1940’s to brew their very special beers that we got to taste too. The sun wasn’t even over the yard arm, but we did enjoy the best they had to offer!

This afternoon, we’ve headed into the country on the Taieri Gorge Railway, taking in some great views of the area that can’t be seen from the road. Den’s now in the kitchens cooking up lamb curry (we’ll it had to be didn’t it!) and I’m copying all the pictures onto the flash drive so I can keep snapping away!

Will update you all again soon.

Love you lots and hope you’re not missing us too much <3 xx

Still having problems uploading pics, so you'll have to wait till we get back at this rate!..... see ya soon!!

Advertisement



22nd September 2011

Sounds Amazing!
Hi Both, Was fab to read what you both had been up to. Sounds amazing; I read it x3 times over, so fully digest all the exciting and descriptive updates. Really does sound like your having the time of your lives out there. Wildlife and scenery just sounds amazing. Callum would live it, Deadly 60 Steve Backshall eat your heart out! lol. You'll be pleased to know Sandie that I am occupying your desk, and making full use of the footrest! Look forward to reading more updates and adventure accounts. Have fun :-) Sarah

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb