Stars, Glaciers and tears!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
September 24th 2011
Published: September 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A slightly shorter week between games for us, with only 6 days to tour some more of this amazing country. We set off for Twizel (pronouced Twyzel), hoping to see some Maori cave art, but unfortunately erosion had caused the area of rock to collapse, which is a dreadful shame. We are planning on visiting another area when we visit Roturua on the north island though. We had planned to stay in Twizel until we met up with a lovely welsh couple whilst viewing Mount Cook and they said that we should visit Lake Tekapo a few kilometres north as there was an observatory which was worth a visit and the area was amazing. So we changed our plans and shot off there instead.......and boy were we glad we did, as we finished up going on a night viewing at the observatory where we saw the Tarantula nebular, two galaxies!! and various star clusters including diamond, wishing well, the jewel box and butterfly. We were absolutely blown away to be able to view these constellations that are not visible to the naked eye!

The following day was even better as we flew on a 10 seater plane to view Mount Cook and the Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers.......There are no words to describe this flight only to say that I was so amazed I was reduced to tears!!! The weather was amazing, with clear blue skies and gave us the chance to wear shorts instead of trousers and a fleece, so the views from the plan were breathtaking.

The following day we travelled to Alexandra via the town of Clyde where there are still a number of original gold rush buildings. The place was amazing and you could really imagine what it would have been like all those years ago. The Town of Alexandra has a working clock set in the mountains!! and we enjoyed a lovely bike ride along the old Otago railway line that used to serve the gold mining communities of the 1800’.

We are now back in Dunedin for the Romania game, which we are both hoping is better than the last two!!! and are leaving as early as possible for our Interislander ferry crossing on Monday over to the north island for our final game and another whistle stop tour of this great country.

See you later 😊


Advertisement



26th September 2011

Scenic flight with Air Safaris
Thank you for the lovely mention in your write up!! I went to the last England game in Dunedin in the weekend and LOVED it ... the atmosphere was amazing! I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around New Zealand. If you have time, please review our flight on trip advisor by visiting http://tiny.cc/smk0f We loved flying the English Rugby supporters throughout the last few weeks, enjoy the North Island!! x

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb