Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left Te Anau and passed through snow-covered mountains to Milford Sound. The scenery was glorious. The signs indicated that the road was open but that there was snow. The Canadian couple had hired snow chains for their visit the previous day so I was a little bit concerned - however the road was fine. We passed through the rough-hewn Homer tunnel and descended into the small village of Milford Sound. We had time for a coffee before boarding our booked boat excursion into the Sound, which apparently is actually a fjord. The scenery is majestic - even in the typical cloudy and occasional showery conditions. The near vertical walls of the fjord teem with cascades dropping thousands of feet with occasional more emphatic waterfalls. There are also fur seals. We spent most of the journey on the outside deck despite the weather. After we booked into our hostel. We dined at the only restaurant in Milford - attached to the information centre - a simple pizza and potato wedges washed down with Sleights Ale. Best feature of the hostel is the comfy lounge full of sofas. The remoteness of this place means that the electricity is generated locally and so is turned off from 11pm till 6:30am - so typing this at 10:45 I'll finish now before lights out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Mouth of Milford SoundMouth of Milford Sound
Mouth of Milford Sound

Just outside the sound the sun was shining
On the SoundOn the Sound
On the Sound

The clouds parted briefly


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb