Blue, blue blue


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Methven
August 25th 2016
Published: August 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were glad to leave Twizel Kiwi van park this morning. Nothing to do with the weather, all to do with the anal camp nazi owner/manager of the park, small man syndrome, obnoxious, impatient and downright rude.
When we arrived he chided me for not telling him FIRST that we were in an Apollo van, which gives us 10% discount, most put out to have this information at the end of the transaction. Next when we asked about fishing he said to us, "I'll tell you this once and once only, both of you listen, 2 pair of ears". phew! And then we got the park information, where was what, times for this and that, all too much information. And to top this off at 10pm last night we were sitting in the comfy TV lounge kitchen area and were told off in no uncertain terms this was not our area, we had to listen when we booked in, you have to pay attention, most important to do as you are told, blah blah blah. Most unpleasant little man!Off to Methven today. This is the little town closest to Mt Hutt ski field, the venue for tomorrow.We chose not to go to Mt Cook today, too much low lying cloud, and cruised past the brilliant azure blue Lake Pukaki. Next stop Lake Tekapo, another lake involved in the big hydro schemes in this area. Most famous is the Church of the Good Shepherd, right on the lake, a real church. And almost beside it is a collie dog statue honouring the incredible working dogs of this area, and remembering the most famous, Mackenzie's dog who went on midnight stealing raids without his master gathering up a sizeable flock over time.Onwards for coffee at Burkes Pass, with a new coating of snow on the hills nearby. The coffee place had the most incredible collection of this and that and solid huge wooden furniture that would need a crane to lift it in place.Through Fairlie, Geraldine, Mayfield and onwards to Methven and the camping grounds where you just book yourself in, make yourself at home, use the facilities, pay at departure, no paperwork, all is good.Methven was founded in 1869, only a small country town, not much happening until Mt Hutt ski field opened in the 1970's. It's still not a Queenstown, but has cafes, restaurants and the Blue Pub, along with the Brown Pub directly over the road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb