The Queen Charlotte Track


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I know you all have been waiting to read about the conclusion of Tanya and I's South Island Tour. It is hard to believe that it has been over a month since I returned from such an incredible trip.

It is hard to pick a favorite part of the trip because we were able to see and do such incredible things. We concluded our trip with a couple days spent along the Queen Charlotte Track. The track is 67km and takes about 5 days to hike. It is also possible to bike the track. The track "starts" at the northern point of Ship's Cove and is accessible by the track itself or by water. Due to our limited time we were only able to travel a short portion of the track. We took a water taxi to an access point of the track and hiked until we reached the amazing retreat of Lochmara Logde.

The scenery along the track was breathtaking. We saw very few people along the track. For anyone traveling to New Zealand I highly recommend spending the full five days hiking the track and would plan on spending a few days at Lochmara, it truely is a wonderful retreat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Early morning kayak at Lochmara Lodge.Early morning kayak at Lochmara Lodge.
Early morning kayak at Lochmara Lodge.

We found jellyfish, mussels, stingrays and starfish.
A seafood feast in Picton.A seafood feast in Picton.
A seafood feast in Picton.

That's 80 New Zealand dollars. Well worth it!
Steggy is injured...Steggy is injured...
Steggy is injured...

...but lucky for him, a nurse was near!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb