Scotland on Steroids - Welcome to New Zealands South


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough » Picton
May 28th 2011
Published: June 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

By now we were already well accustomed to the stunning scenery of Kiwi land. Turning many a corner, letting out a big sigh and muttering "wow" was becoming a pretty common occurence. So as we boarded the ferry taking across across the Cook Strait we really should have known that the Marlborough Sounds, the gateway to New Zealands south, was probably going to blow our socks off! It didn't disappoint - rolling green hills descending into endless channels of clear blue water.

It was also getting bloody cold. As this country gets more beautiful our own faces seem to be losing their silky summer shine at a worrying rate. Besides the adverse weather conditions a diet of bread, pasta and rice seems to be taking its toll. For those greeting us on our return be warned - that Scottish summer might not look quite so bad when it comes to comparing tans!

After setting foot on dry land, we headed for a cosy Irish bar to warm our toes - me tucking into a creamy Kilkenny whilst Claire stuck to her Scottish roots on the Irn Bru. We spent the next few days exploring the Sounds - with a hot coffee and peanut butter sarnie keeping us going on either side. We also ventured into Havelock - you must of heard of it - its the green lip mussel capital of the world! We shared a bowl of mussel chowder and chips down by the marina - absolutely amazing, my first chowder but definately not my last. We also visited Nelson - an arty town along the coast where we visited a museum (entry by donation = free for us) and sat by more warm fires in the local pub. We also accidently took a detour via New Zealands most famous wine region - the vineyards surrounding the towns of Renwick and Blenheim.

We then hot footed it down the rainy West coast to the famous Franz Josef and Fox glaciers. Wow - these things were absolutely huge! The weather was dire though...which meant the walks up to see these massive ice shelfs were a mission. Seriously - I have nothing to wear for this weather, a rain jacket with a broken zip, skinny jeans and some Topman plimsols just don't cut it for these artic conditions! Claire also really looking the part - hot pants about all
Pasta PestoPasta PestoPasta Pesto

Our Staple Diet!
she has to wear - throw in the tights and trainers and shes like something out of Flashdance. That night, soaking wet in our camper with stinking soggy socks on, we were so close to checking into a nearby hotel!

Off to two of the South Islands biggest tourist draws next - the laid back Wanaka and the world adventure capital Queenstown. Both lie within the huge Mount Aspiring National Park.

Fingers crossed for some better weather!

James and Claire x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Another Stunning ViewAnother Stunning View
Another Stunning View

We got alot of these photos!


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb