The Rite of Passage - Cook Strait


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough » Picton
October 31st 2005
Published: October 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Marlborough SoundsMarlborough SoundsMarlborough Sounds

Queen Charlotte Sound
Whenever anyone wishes to travel with a vehicle from the North Island to the South Island or the other way around it requires to get involved with one of the ferry companies who dock in Wellington in the North Island and Picton on the South.
Wellington is the capital city of the country and as a result is one of its largest cities. The main downtown area wraps around the harbour and provides easy access to the ferr terminal. We prefer the Bluebridge for its friendly service and cheaper rates.
Picton on the South Island end is a very small community but one we really enjoy. Top quality Lecafe on the waterfront is our hang out usually. Great food, coffee and weekend entertainment. Plenty of shops to visit when strolling around.
The crossing is about 3 1/2 - 4 hours with approximately 1/3 in the Wellington Harbour, the middle part is the main Cook Strait and the last third is moving through the Queen Charlotte Sound.
Great time when the weather is okay but a real hell trip when not. In the winter it is a hit or miss if one gets to cross when scheduled. Nothing like a southerly to bring grown men to their knees.
Not too bad during the times summer travel occurs. You might want to check on the weather before making plans during some stages. Neither Wellington or Picton are bad places to hang out anyhow if time permits.
More later................

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb