NZ adventure begins...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
August 17th 2007
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ChristchurchChristchurchChristchurch

The view from our very new hotel. The square in front of the church filled up with market stalls on the sat morning.
We arrived in Christchurch late on a friday night and the place was still buzzing. After a 5 hour flight however, we weren't so we stocked up on food and settled in to watch Oceans 13. Can't beat a bit of Brad!

Next morning, after a quick scout round town to get breakfast and a fishing rod, we were picked up and taken to our new home for the next 3 weeks, our very own Campervan!!! It was a transit van but was quite spacious inside as long as we didn't both want to move at once. After going though some of the faults that we noticed we hit the road and headed south to Lake Tekapo. The journey was 'awesome'. The mountains were snow capped, fields were green and the roads went up and down like a week's washing. It reminded us a lot of home.

Lake Tekapo was bright blue and surrounded by more snow-capped peaks which were reflected brilliantly on the still lake. Mark headed off enthusiastically to try out his new toy in the lake and I cooked our first meal in a van! Happy days. However, as night fell so did the temperature and we quickly realised that the summer weight quilt we had been supplied with was not really adequate for a NZ winter and we had to wrap up in as many layers as we could. That and the migraine that hit me in the middle of the night meant that our first night in our van was not the best, although we did get to see the most amazing night sky we've ever seen. It was almost glowing there were so many stars. Stunning.

After a bit of a long lie (to catch up on the sleep we had lost the night before with me throwing up all night - sorry anyone else in the campsite!!) we wandered into 'town' for a nosy. Not much there but it was lovely to sit outside with a hot drink gazing at that view. After another cordon blue meal in the van we headed out to sample the nightlife in Tekapo, but most importantly, to get a heat in the pub.

Next day, yet another clear crisp sunny but cold winter's day, we visited the statue to sheepdogs and the Church of the Good Shepherd. Behind the alter is a large picture window looking out at the lake and mountains giving the most amazing view of the lake. I would go to that church if I lived there although the minister would have to be excellent to keep my attention from just staring out of the window for an hour! Tough job for someone.

We left Tekapo believing that we had just seen the most stunning part of New Zealand, happily looking forward to seeeing the rest pale in comparison.

How wrong we were! Half an hour down the road to Queenstown we came across Lake Pukaki and it took our breath away. The water was bluer, the mountains seemed higher and snowier, the reflection was clearer and it was just the most beautiful scene we had the pleasure of looking at for some time. Truely gorgeous.

And that seemed to be the story of our trip to Queenstown. Around every corner there was somewhere else to stop and marvel. Inland sights were amazing too, huge flat colourful plains with mountains guarding either side. Like Scotland but bigger. The NZ glaciers could have eaten the Scottish ones for a snack. Everywhere the water was blue like in a child's drawing (all to do with volcanoes and volcanic dust but the effect was beautiful), even fast flowing water in rivers and waterfalls. We passed over gorges, through Alpine-like towns and stopped so often that we thought we might not make it before dark. This was the way to travel, in beautiful countryside with our homes on our backs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Big windows on the churchBig windows on the church
Big windows on the church

What a view these windows had! Breathtaking.
Our home for 3 weeksOur home for 3 weeks
Our home for 3 weeks

Honestly, it was like the tardis inside! It had everything we could ever need (well apart from heating that worked and a winter weight duvet and maybe a few other things such as tread on the tyres and storage that opened etc etc but beggars can't be choosers and we still loved it!)
Still at Lake Pukaki! Still at Lake Pukaki!
Still at Lake Pukaki!

It was hard to tear ourselves away!
RuataniwhaRuataniwha
Ruataniwha

These lakes and reservoir were so still it was like looking at a mirror, so beautiful.


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb