Two days in Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
December 6th 2012
Published: December 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our last blog was entered out of sequence as we got a bit behind due to lack of Internet connection and having a great time.

Lovely motel and slept a little better than I have been. Yummy breakfast prepared by Mr Combes and we packed said our goodbyes and left to tour the wineries. We arrived at Villa Maria at 10am just as it was opening a little early for tasting wine but nevertheless we did and bought some that we can't get in the UK more's the pity. Then on to Matua Valley which seems to have disappeared in the UK and was closed here yet the vines were growing and all looked well. We then drove past a boutique vineyard and then Cloudy Bay but as we were driving to Kaikoura we decided that maybe we should give them a miss. Stopped at the I-site where we booked a Whale watching trip and were told about a seal sanctuary and another winery we just had to visit because it was run by a down to earth sort who was in to sustainable growing of vines. the vineyard is called Yealands so off we went.
The journey was superb amazing scenery and views of snow covered mountains, a turquoise sea and slopes covered with vineyards or forests or farmland. Turning off to the Yealands vineyard we were amazed at the vastness of it.there were acres and acres of vineyards and then a pond or two and sheep! Arriving at the cellar door we were greeted and shown a film about the development of the site and the owner who was very much hands-on. The whole concept was about recycling and sustainability. The wine tasting was over too quickly and wish we could have bought a case of all we tried however we can buy them in the UK as M&S sells them in a very bland label S1 which we had not see in M&S but will look for when we get back. Driving back towards the main road the views were stunning mountains on both sides and vast plains of vineyards and a river in-between.We stopped for coffee at a cafe overlooking the sea then drove on next to the railway track and the sea and we spotted some seals sunbathing on the rocks. They were fascinating the babies playing in the water some still feeding on mum and the male showing his dominance barking at and chasing the others when they tried to encroach on his territory.We finally arrived at Kaikoura and drove slowly along the esplanade looking for a place to stay and we chose one with a great view and a reasonable price. You get a studio with a kitchen and a bathroom and about $130 for a night.We walked in to town along the beach and just couldn't get over the views of the snow covered mountains next to farmland that was next to the sea. It reminded us a little of Port Mahomack in Scotland except there were so many shops. Speaking to the locals there's about 4000 people living here the same as Kingsclere but the nearest town is about 2 hours drive away so there is even a cinema here.Cooked a lovely fish supper and ate outside overlooking the sea and mountains and drank some of our Greenhough wine delicious! A last walk along the beach and it seemed like there were two sunsets one either side of the bay just amazing we can't believe there is anywhere more beautiful......except perhaps St.Ives wish there were mountains there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Kaikoura has it allKaikoura has it all
Kaikoura has it all

View from our studio


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb