Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
September 4th 2012
Published: September 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I was welcomed to Kaikoura by a very excited Zaidee running towards me with open arms, whilst Jim and Dan embraced in a more manly fashion. We were staying in a lovely hostel called The Adelphi Lodge, a stones throw from the shore and a beautiful backdrop of snow covered mountains.



We set off to find the seals and walk the Kaikoura Peninsula and stopped for a lovely picnic lunch, where I, in true Kayleigh fashion, got shat on by a bird. The seals were enormous, enjoying basking in the sunshine. We saw a group of seal pups playing in the grass. I may have got slightly too close to one - which was peacefully lying on the path - and it warned me off with a loud grunt! Zaidee and I were quite amused when the boys yelled "look it's a penguin" only to realise it was a Mollymawk, a species of marine bird found in Kaikoura.



We rewarded ourselves with a drink in The Craypot Cafe and enjoyed some pizza for dinner. After falling alseep at 5:30pm we decided to have an early start on Wednesday 5th and ran the 10k round trip back to see the seal pups and the sunrise - quite a contrast to my usual Brighton seafront run! As a reward we enjoyed a flat white in a cute cafe on the main street which was playing WHAM - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (my Mum's requested funeral song).



Kayleigh xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Seals again...Seals again...
Seals again...

This one took a dislike to Kayleigh and grunted at her!


13th September 2012
Seal in the background...animal not the singer

Awww lovely pic and lovely sunrise, look as if you are having a fab time xxxxx love Mum xxx

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb