SEALS!!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
October 29th 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The clouds cleared so we thought we would attempt another peak called Mt. Fyfe. The grade was called easy/moderate in our book. SIKE!! If that is easy then I would like to see what they call hard. Maybe it was easy because it was on a road the whole way up, but it was also the world's steepest road. We figured out that we climbed 1000 feet a mile. The views were awesome though. The Kaikoura range was on our backside and the Pacific Ocean was on our front.

After somehow making it back down we went to investigate the fur seal colonies. They were incredibly cute and smelled incredibly bad. I think that one of the layers in hell could be just having to sit in their stench for the rest of eternity. Musky with dead fish would be the name of their colone. They were fun to watch though. They had their pups, who are being weened from their mothers right now and the males are rather large.

We ran into an even bigger colony on our way out to our camp sight for the night, which was right next to train tracks. Trains could be heard at all hours of the night. As a resut, I kept having dreams about thunderstorms.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb