Laura’s week in New Zealand – Part 2 (Wanaka & Kaikora)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
June 28th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Laura’s week in New Zealand – Part 2 (Wanaka & Kaikora)



Day 3: Before heading out of Queenstown we visited the Kiwi sanctuary for our first close encounter. They house the kiwi’s in a shed with a glass viewing area, which is kept dark in the day and light at night allowing us a good look. They are bigger than we thought, with a long beak and whiskers; the female also lays eggs which are about a third of her size – ouch!

We stopped off for some wine tasting and an amazing cheese board at Gibston Valley (they even had a yummy goat’s cheese for Tory so she could join in the cheesefeast!). We were slightly disappointed with the wine which was too oaky for our taste - check us out with our new found connoisseur ways. We then headed for Wanaka (we liked it so much we went back again!) and walked around the lake as the sun set before heading to Cinema Paradiso for a second helping of cookies.

Day 4: Driving Day! We did the long 5 hour drive up to Christchurch stopping off at the Church of the Good Shepherd on Lake Takapo for a cheese and wine picinic.

Day 5: On the last day of our tour we made it up to Kaikora so we could go out on a whale watching boat trip, which was brilliant. We saw 3 sperm whales, a pod of dusky dolphins and even a Royal Albertross for good measure. The whales were incredible, very majestic and amazing to watch from so close. Later that day we went from feeling like we were the only ones on the water to feeling we were one of a million people in the Hamner springs hot pools! Think public swimming baths when you were a kid but hotter and with more of an eggy smell – let’s just say we won’t be going again.

Our jam packed week came to an end all too quickly and we were soon waving Laura off at Christchurch airport – sniff.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Strategically placed piece of bread -Strategically placed piece of bread -
Strategically placed piece of bread -

now we just have to wait for the seagulls to notice


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb