Wine & the sea


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
December 3rd 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Upon leaving Nelson we decided to try some of the local wines since we were driving through some nice looking vinyards so we dropped into Vines Village & tried some Bouldevines (leaving with two bottles of a nice Pinot Noir that was 2 for $20) then down the road to Domaine Georges Michel to try some more & discovered a very palatable Pinot Noir rose! We also found some tasty venison pies for lunch before heading down the east coast to Kaikoura stopping off at Kekerengu where Julian nearly left his shirt on the beach! Lovely black sands there & I got to test my new hairband created from a find in the scraps box of the quiting shop at Vines Village!

Other brief photo stops also occured along the coast which was well worth the drive. We stayed at Bad Jelly Backpackers in Kaikoura & amusingly ran into Cora again there! Always nice to see a Stray friend in unexpected places! We failed to do any of the tourisy activities in Kaikoura but did get out to Point Kean to see the seals (& a white-faced heron) & Julian braved the track up to the lookout point. We also found a rather random old fireplace by the road with no explaination of what had been there, very odd. The morning was very cloudy & grey in Kaikoura so we decided to head back north seeking some sunshine & soon we found it. Kaikoura began as a crayfishing town (Kai = food, koura = crayfish) so we stopped off to try one of these for lunch. I was unimpressed by the taste, but enjoyed dissecting the remains!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

New hair tie!New hair tie!
New hair tie!

At Kekerengu beach


Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb