22 04 2010


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
April 24th 2010
Published: April 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

22 04 2010

Another lovely sunny day for the camping duo. It was cold overnight so the heater was needed to bring up the temperature. In the middle of the usual chores whilst getting the blog ready the laptop rang and our first skype call ever was received.

After a bit of kafuffle with sound and pictures I could hear and see Peter and Mandy and we had a chat. It was reminiscent of a scene from “Allo allo” Is that New Zealand? Reading calling, hello it is your brother, can you hear me. Hello Reading this is New Zealand, I can hear you but cannot see you. Etc. In any event it was great to hear from home and if anybody else has skype then you may catch us on line depending on internet connection.


The journey got under way at a leisurely 1000 hours and once again N Z lived up to its reputation for scenery. This time we were treated to the autumnal scenery, valleys of lush green grass and then a view of the Pacific as we crossed to the east coast. The road then continued parallel to the coast with cliffs on our left and a railway track with sea views crashing against rocks and dark colour beaches. Wendy even saw a seal as we drove along. The road also went through tunnels built into the cliffs with great views as you emerged.


We did stop off about 1230 for a brunch and that is where the camper van comes into its own. NZ has rest areas besides the main road and this one was bedside a stream. No sooner stopped than the bacon mushrooms tomatoes were under way and a great meal ensued.

We got to Kaikoura about 1400 hours and settled in. We wandered down to the little town famous for its whaling association. There were men getting the war memorial ready for ANZAC day this coming Sunday. We looked round town for a red cross for St George’s day but were unsuccessful.

Then back to the site for chores, washing, showering, etc. By 1800 hours we were into the NZ spirit again NZ lamb chops and a bottle of the local merlot to accompany it. We got chatting to a young couple from Leicester (apparently somewhere up north in UK) and they had recently been to Thailand. They joined us for cheese and biccies and we were there till late putting the world to rights and enjoying meeting fellow world travellers which we felt we were by now.

We have now been camping for over a week and we are still talking and loving the whole way of life.

Lots of love to all (French accent) “This is night hawk signing out!”


XXX



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb