Days 9 and 10


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
September 21st 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 9 completeDay 9 completeDay 9 complete

Me as we arrive in Cheviot

Day 9 - Kaikoura to Cheviot 75km



We were out early again and the weather was terrible. The first 20km was along the coast before we cut inland, and it took us around an hour and half to complete the 20km due to the wind and rain coming in off the sea, it really wasnt very good fun. Once we cut inland toward Cheviot we were provided with a little shelter from the elements, but were instead faced with a series of tough climbs, four of around 200m. It was certainly one of the toughest sections we had cycled in the past 9 days, but we managed to dig in and get to Cheviot not long after lunch time. Day 9 was tough, but we only had one day left until Christchurch and were exhausted but very very excited.

Day 10 - Cheviot to Christchurch 115km



The final day! We both woke up buzzing about the prospect of finishing the cycle, yet aware that we had a tough day ahead over 100km. We set off early before 8am and it was freezing! There had been a hard frost over night and what little wind
Get In - Challenge CompleteGet In - Challenge CompleteGet In - Challenge Complete

Happy to be finished as we arrive at our accomodation in Christchurch
there was just cut right through you! We were both suffering from niggling injuries, but numb hands and feet took our mind off them for the first hour or two. We hit a lonng downhill after about 50km and managed to make some really good time up on the approach to Christchurch. We finally arrived in Christchurch at about 3pm on Sunday afternoon, nackered but delighted to be finished the challenge. Unfortunately due to the route we had taken we were unable to find any welcome to Christchurch signs to get some photos! After a quick look we decided to abandon the search and head to the hostel for a hot shower and a snooze. Job Done!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb