Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
January 28th 2006
Published: January 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 76 & 77



We were picked up by the Kiwi bus for the last time and drove up to Kaikoura, a small costal town which is famous for whale watching and dolphins. We arrived about 11 and at 12 we headed for the dolphin Encounter where we got ready to swim with dolphins!! We boarded the boat and 30 minutes later we were sitting on the edge ready to jump in with a pod of 200 dusky dolphins!! It was sooooooooooo amazing. We tried to swim like dolphins while singing and making funny noises to get them to play with us. We swam with them in cirlces while they jumped around us and were looking us in the eye. It was truely fantastic. We did another 3 swims, all of which were brilliant and then sat on the boat watching their rather impressive arocbatics!! Their routines included back flips, front flips and high jumps out of the water!! Somehow we managed to catch some of their display on camera, budding photographers that we are!! Watch out Baldy Steve!! We were pretty zonked after that and went back to the hostel for a snooze. When we woke up we went into town to get some rub a dub dub but the sleepy little town was asleep - nothing was open at 9 pm!! Stuart had to settle for jacket potato and salad much to his disgust!!

The next day we went for a long old walk to see a seal colony. It took us a while to see them, then we could make out some black dots in the distance and eventually found some closer to us. We sat and watched them for a while then headed back to town for fish and chips (we got there at lunchtime so we were guaranteed some food!). Chilled out for a while then went to the cinema to see In Her Shoes, which was alright (Chick flick made better by Cameron Diaz prancing around semi naked).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb