Farewell Campervan ... Hello Ensuite!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
February 27th 2006
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

SchoolSchoolSchool

Out of class and ready for lunch ... Muummmmmm, where are youuu?
Long drive to Christchurch via Arthur's Pass to swop over vehicles. Kissed goodbye to our wagon - least we get our own shower from here on in.

Now we have an automatic 4WD (in white, incase the ladies are interested). Tis much easier to reverse without cooker/taps in the way.

Headed for Kaikoura. Obviously t'was a kiss of death mentioning our plans to whale watch. Despite warm sunshine our 3.30pm trip was cancelled as rough weather was coming in. Booo. Got ourselves on the 6.45am trip the following morning but didn't fancy our chances ...

Stayed at The Old Convent in Kaikoura that evening. Unique. Quirky. Remote. Tranquil. Very popular with the olds (oi!). Stayed in Mother Superior's Room (she was out) and made the most of the novelty ready-made bed and ensuite facilities. Over a bottle of wine on the verandah, we met some nice Kiwis who gave us some recommended sights and also invited us to visit when oop North. Lovely.

Agreed to 'communal dining' chez convent but had the misfortune of landing on the table full of Brits - ho hum. We were also the youngest by about 30 years... One couple were true
Avis Deal of the MonthAvis Deal of the MonthAvis Deal of the Month

Maybe Mother Superior's motor once upon a time?
old school colonials who were unable to eat since they didn't stop talking about themselves, their children (4 kids, 5 degrees, leading lights in law dont-you-know?) and how nothing compares to when they were living in Rhodeeeesia. Yawwwwwwwwwn. Fortunately, the couple next to us were as unenamoured so we ignored them as best we could and chatted amongst ourselves. Lovely meal and a nice chance to chat with other people.

The promised storm blew up overnight so whaling was definitely out. Set off for Nelson instead visiting a seal colony en route. We'd been told about the baby seals that were being coached and cared for in small rock pools by parents, aunts and uncles, as they were too young to go out to sea yet. Very cute and a lot of fun to watch - just like kids in a nursery and a nice touch of wildlife to compensate for the whale wipeout.

Onto Blenheim. Having failed with whales - moved on to the wine. Visited Hunters vineyard for a tasting, some lunch and a few carry outs before making our way to the Loft at Villa 10, our home for the next four nights.

W-O-W.
The Loft, Villa 10, NelsonThe Loft, Villa 10, NelsonThe Loft, Villa 10, Nelson

If we ever win the lottery ...
What an amazing place. Stunning views, gorgeous interiors, immaculate and equipped with every possible gadget. A far cry from our last two weeks. We almost regretted having booked two full day trips for this leg. Jenny, the owner is an artist and has decorated the entire place with her fabrics, furnishings, paintings and photos. A real treasure trove. We will certainly enjoy every minute spent here.

Anyway, anyway, anyway, publishing this belatedly ... so all a little out of date ... excuse time lapse ...

Love
K&N x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Dad on Babysitting DutyDad on Babysitting Duty
Dad on Babysitting Duty

All Day I Dream About Sport ... Snapper ... Seal-(not-Suga)-babes ...
Our Room at the Old ConventOur Room at the Old Convent
Our Room at the Old Convent

Complete with bible and tea/coffee making facilities!
Sunset over Tasman BaySunset over Tasman Bay
Sunset over Tasman Bay

Great spot for a glass of NZ Sauvignon Blanc ...
Couldn't resist slipping this in ...Couldn't resist slipping this in ...
Couldn't resist slipping this in ...

... this is what happens if you choose sunbathing over vetting blog.


28th April 2006

Lovin' your work ...
Hello. British Olympic Team here. Just enquiring as to Kate's availability in August 2012 as we have a vacancy in our trampolining team... Ha ha.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb