Kaikoura etc


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
February 27th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 24th February - Before leaving Marahua called in at a wonderful place called ‘Unique Arts’ and bought some gifts also called in and a saw a guy who originated from Lewisham(!) who made fantastic Walnut rocking chairs (took his card for when we might be able to afford it!!). Now heading for Kaikoura travelled via St. Arnaud at the northern tip of Nelson Lakes and then on to Blenheim - a huge wine growing area mile after mile of vineyards however as it was getting late we didn’t linger and eventually pulled up at a DOC (Department of Conservation) site at Marfells Beach, which was literally on the beach. On the small road down to the site we saw hundreds of Harriers in the fields - apparently it’s the mating season! Settled down for the night ready for an early start to Kaikoura.

Wednesday 25th February - Early start to Kaikoura managed to book on to a Whale Watch boat trip. Seas were quite high and there was a sea sickness alert!! They certainly were high, the boat travelled at high speed it was VERY exciting and no sickness from either of us!! Captain used sonar to track the whales. Eventually a ‘spout’ was sighted and we saw this enormous Sperm Whale - mad you feel very humble. We were told to have cameras ready as he was about to dive - WOW - down he went and that beautiful tail came up - what a moment!! Perfect beautiful day - this magnificent animal silhouetted against the cliffs in the background. Boat moved off to find more marine animals. We saw several types of Albatross - wonderful sight and then were alerted to a group of Orca Dolphins (Killer Whales) a rare sight. Back to whale sighting area and once again saw a Sperm Whale diving. Back to shore very elated. On our way through the town handed a leaflet on a Seaside BBQ which specialised in freshly cooked Crayfish (local delicacy) so thought we’d give it a try - found it on roadside and had half a crayfish (size of a lobster) between us - delicious.. Left Kaikoura en route to Hanmer Thermal Springs. Stopped quite late for a bit of ‘free’ camping at an Air at Waiau. Very quiet road woke to the sound of Bell Birds singing in trees above us.

Thursday 26th Pressed on for Hanmer Springs. Stopped in town and asked about trip to Molesworth Station (the biggest sheep & cattle station in NZ - 182,000 hectares in high country) not suitable for motor home would have to be 4WD trip. However all trips booked up until Monday so will have to leave it this time - perhaps next time we come!!!!! Carried on to Maruia Thermal Springs - recommended by Mike & Maggs and run by Japanese. Another WOW - both the journey there through the Lewis Pass and the springs themselves. 3 outdoor pools - really hot - sank into the volcanic water bliss - then following the example of a Taiwan student went and sat in the COLD pool - bit of a shock to start with then quite nice when acclimatised - then back into the hot pool - more bliss! Finished in cold pool and a hot shower. We both felt wonderful. Headed on to Christchurch. Stopped at a site on the outskirts at Woodend Beach. Wonderful long deserted beach. Rang Tom (Clarke) and trying to get tickets for a Rugby Match in Christchurch tomorrow night where we will join up with Tom and Mike and Maggs - hope we can get them - watch this space.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



5th March 2009

wow
fantastic blog and cracking pics, good work from both parties!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb