Tues & Wed - Seals ... cool !


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
October 7th 2008
Published: October 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It has been pouring rain and blowing all night. We listen to the news again but they only remark that driving could be difficult. I guess nothing stops a kiwi - Land of adrenaline. Well, our next town, when we call, tells us that they have a lovely sunny day so we decide to chance it. Luckily the bad weather is left behind. We arrive in Kaikoura and as we drive a meter away from the black sand and ocean we see life. Big seals! We pulled over and had to get some pictures. They are funny. Some seem to realize what a camera is and try to sit up or waddle closer. Most just stare. It's a small town and we have a choice of two parks. Neither are a name we have used before but we have no choice. We choose the camp closest to the town and it is right beside the beach but, let's say we are not impressed. It's enough space but there is this smell like old pipe smoke and it's freezing!(though that's not the camp's fault).
We hope that airing the place out and turning on the heat while we shop will fix things up. Not so lucky. And then the kitchen gives us some challenges—how the burners work—so we're already looking forward to leaving. We have started looking ahead to future accommodations but until this weekend ends and the kiwi student go back to school, we're stuck with what we can get. We decide to spend the next day following the walk to see the seal colony. Again up we go but there is only one uphill and then we walk a plateau so not so bad. When we get to the steep down path to the beach, the kids are off and we have no choice but to follow. The thought of getting back crosses my mind. The beach is great and we see more seals and watch other people out on a tour swimming with them. There are also many bird colonies—and they let you know if they aren't happy. Joshua was walking along the beach not paying close attention and came running back to tell us that he'd just been growled at by a seal because he hadn't seen it and gotten very close to this animal's nap spot. Trust Joshua.
We have a surprise for the kids when we get back—library time to do work! We are somewhat behind schedule and really need to get this unit off.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb