Whale Watching


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
September 9th 2005
Published: September 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived in Kaikoura which means "Food of the crayfish" in Maori with high hopes of spotting a whale or two! We hurried to the booking office to get tickets for the trip only to be advised that due to the unseasonally calm and warm weather the sightings of whales was becoming a little sporadic - but being "cup half full" types we decided to try our luck.

When we arrived for the trip we were really disappointed to learn that the whale watching was cancelled as no sightings had been made; there was however, a coastal trip on offer, so we decided to do that instead.

For over an hour we cruised the waters and hugged the coastline, and saw nothing more than a couple of Wandering Alabatross (massive birds, hadn't realised how big they are), a few Fur Seals (very smelly) and just as we'd about given up all hope we were amazed to spot to lovely Hector Dolphins; these creatures are very shy unlike some other dolphins and we were very lucky to capture the images that we have!

So although we weren't lucky enough to spot a whale, I would recommend the trip as well worth doing as NZ has some amazing wildlife and you just don't know what you'll bump into.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb