Sealing Good and Having a Whale of a Time


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
March 5th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi All
I hope you're well. Since I last updated you I've travelled across to the bottom of the North Island, stopping in various places, including Windy Wellington (it's already windy, not just because I was there). We travelled across on the ferry to the South Island. It's beautiful!!! The landscape is so different. Not as green in some ways but very green in others. Upon our travels on the East Coast we saw some grey things darting about in the water. They were seals! We stopped the car and rushed down near the rocks where they were playing and basking (and stinking like very old fish). Great fun!
We stayed one night in a place called Kaikoura in a beautiful hostel (other than the bed bugs that ate 2 of the girls alive). It had a balcony where we watched the sunset behind the mountains.
Then Mel and I got up at 5:30 to watch the sunrise over the beach.......and to go Whale Watching! Yup, we boarded a specialised vessel and managed to see 3 Sperm Whales right up close. So lucky! Saw them blowing their spouts and flashing their huge tails as they dived.
As if that wasn't enough, the boat then sailed into a swarm of 400 leaping Dusky Dolphins. I've never seen anything like it. They were everywhere and coming right up to the boat.
Seals, Whales and Dolphins in their natural habitat all in 24 hours.
Definitely in the top 5 experiences of my life.
We're now in Nelson and going to visit the Abel Tasman National Park tomorrow. Should be a treat!
Shall put my aquatic photos on here as soon as a good computer and time comes along.....
Tarrah Folks!
Love Bex
xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb