Hanmer Springs


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hanmer Springs
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We're knackered. Exhausted and barely able to stay awake at 8pm. But its a good, worn out, had a fantastic week-end kind of tired. Hanmer Springs is beautiful & spectacular - something we've already come to expect from New Zealand.

It was Mark's birthday yesterday and to celebrate a group of us headed north for the week-end. An hour and half later we were in Hanmer Springs, famous since the 1920's for it's therapeutic geo-thermal mineral springs. Mmmmmm. We soaked for several hours in water that varied between 36 & 41 degrees celsius, depending on which pool we picked. There's something really wonderful about sitting up to your neck in warm water watching the steam rise as the rain falls into the pool.

After this we headed back to the holiday house we'd rented for the day. The place was massive - it easily accomodated the 11 of us and the price per head was surprisingly low. We grabbed pizza from the Pickled Pig pizzeria. Apart from making really tasty pizza and terrific gelati, we were gobsmacked to find the owners were originally from Mt Barker in South Australia, not far from where we live. The world can be a very small place some days. Spent the rest of the night partying gently and waiting for Carol & Sheree to drive up from Queenstown - a monster drive pretty much from one end of the South Island to the other.

Sunday saw us up and having breakfast at Robbies Bar & Bistro. Friendly staff & great food made for a good start. Bec, Carol, Ash & Sheree headed off to soak in the springs while Mel, Dave & Alan went Quad Biking with BackTrax, along with Mark, Mark, Keith & Shelle. I'd like to say this was part of an NZ adrenelin packed adventure but it wasn't. Heaps of fun and the staff were great. They didn't push any of us too hard and we had a great time, though Keith was hoping for something a little more hard core. The rest of us had a ball hooning along the bed of the Hanmer River. Big smiles all round.

After this we headed back to Cristchurch stopping off at the Rocking Frog, Waikari, for a late lunch. More great food but maybe give it a miss if they're really busy.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



2nd November 2008

The Springs
Yeah, but where do they make the springs? In Adelaide there's a place called Adelaide Spring Works and ya can see the foundry and all. Do they burn sheep do to make the fire for the spring works?

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb