Goodbye New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
December 10th 2001
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It’s my last day in New Zealand before heading off to the Land-of-the-roo. Since I last wrote we crossed over to the South Island and spent two weeks driving all over it.

First, we headed to the Franz-Josef and Fox Glaciers and did a small hike on the toe of the Franz-Josef. That night, we stayed in Queenstown before heading for the Fjordlands National Park the next day for a boat cruise on tranquil Milford Sound.

Moving on to the East, I made Scott make a stop at the Moeraki Boulders, which for some unknown reason, I became obsessed with seeing. They are a collection of circular boulders, some cracked open to reveal a hollow inside, like eggs. Very strange-looking! If you didn't know better you would swear they were dinosaur eggs.

Next was Oamaru, where you can watch the blue penguin (the tiniest in the world) come up onto the beach shore at twilight. Following on the animal theme, we then headed to Kaikoua and swam with dolphins and seals. It was sooo cool! There was a pod of about 200 dolphins and they were all around us. And, they really do do tricks and summersaults in the air! The seals were also very fun - very interested in you.

Back in the North Island we went to the Waitomo caves which is famous for glow-worms. They are all over the ceiling and look like little blue stars in the night sky - awwwww!

Tomorrow I am off to Australia!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb