Day 94: Franz Joseph (day 2)‏


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
March 13th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Lizzie and I treated ourselves to a well-deserved lie-in after yesterday's glacier hike, James treated himself to a nice long run! Franz Joseph is a really nice town with plenty of activities to do so we had no problem filling our spare day. We set off late morning for the walk to the bottom of the glacier, it was a fairly straightforward path and the 14km walk led to some really nice views of the glacier from the bottom. It's highly dangerous and stupid tourists often ignore the ranger signs, go off track and get crushed by falling ice! After the walk we treated ourselves to a dip in the hot pools, although the 40 degrees pool was way too hot to stay in for any length of time. Baileys bit: After my morning run I was sat eating breakfast when the resident cat came for a fuss. Bully lingers around the kitchen all day looking for scraps and a stroke from all the backpackers. However there is a sign, like you would see in a zoo, telling people not to feed the cat but judging by the size of his belly quite a few ignore that! After the walk and the hot pools my body went into shut down and I nodded off for almost 2 hours, which was just in time for dinner and another early night in preparation for our 7:30 departure!Daily mileage: 7 I scouted out the route we would be walking by measuring the distance to the glacier car park and seeing how long it was from there to the glacier. I then added a little more on my return to the town (although its more of a hamlet!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb