Franz Joseph


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
December 16th 2012
Published: December 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got up early (7.30) well early for us and drove to the lake it was a little further than we thought but we got there by 9. Swade was waiting for us a really lovely guy who had been fishing in Alaska for the past 15 years and had a slight American accent. He took us out on a motorised punt over the lake and as you might imagine it was so quiet and still. He told us about the wetlands and the wildlife that lived there and the problems facing its survival. As we travelled across the lake we saw seabirds feeding at the edges standing on the water but it was the marsh they were standing on. We saw a harrier hawk swoop over and heard tui's and saw a bell bird beautiful bright green and sings a distinctive song and shags and black swans that look stunning when flying as they have white under their black wings. After about an hour we stopped to have coffee then returned again observing the wildlife.
We then took a walk into the wetlands and heard lots of birds but saw few. Then on to the beach of the Tasman sea and as usual more washed up trees however not so many but lots of stones really large and flat. We stayed and looked at the wild sea as the sun was shining but then returned to have lunch. We then went to the Franz Joseph glacier, driving then parked the car and walked to the base. You can only fly on to the glacier now as it has melted so much but we walked as far as we could and saw the glacier. Getting a helicopter flight would have cost us $255 each so we gave it a miss having been on one in Canada. On our return we bumped in to Barry and decided to meet up in the evening. So back home a spa bath and then to the pub just around the corner met up with Barry and ate our meal out in the sunshine lovely!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2108s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb