Leaving Franz Joseph


Advertisement
Published: December 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Franz Joseph to Wanaka.
We drove to Lake Mathesion which is the famous mirror lake on a clear day with no wind Mount Cook and Mount Tasman are reflected in the lake. Unfortunately the wind had blown up and cloud was over the mountains but it was nevertheless a great walk to the lake and they had a nice coffee shop! We then drove to Fox Glacier, we parked then took a short walk to a viewpoint but again cloud did not help the view. We set off again and came to a beautiful viewpoint of the rugged beach. We stopped at Sailors Creek and took a walk along the beach after spraying ourselves with insecticide to warn off the sand flies. We then went to a salmon farm and bought some pâté not the best purchase but edible. We went on to Haast and stopped for lunch and it seemed we were in the wild west. From here we continued on and stopped by the blue pools. A short walk through forest led us to a swing bridge and from here you could see the pools, beautiful creamy blue colour fed by the glacier. We stopped again at a cafe where a young lad from Suffolk was working. From here we followed the lake and the views were amazing so we stopped to take pictures. We finally arrived at Wanaka, it was sunny and hot yet there was still snow on top of the mountains on top of the lake. Had to stop for a drink in the Trout pub then met up with Amanda and Rob. Next day was a chill out day, meeting up with friends of Rob and Amanda's in their local cafe a short stroll around Wanaka which is a very pretty town then back to sort out our clothes and catch up on some reading and enjoy the sunshine and view of the mountains in the back garden. Just to whet our appetite we went for a stroll around Lake Wanaka, so beautiful full of lupins and pine forest that smelt divine and all we could hear was birdsong and see views that are outstanding, Wanaka is truly a stunning place to live. Met Rob in the supermarket, it is a small place and then went back and Rob cooked some delicious Salmon, spent the evening chatting and laughing catching up on travel tales of South America.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th December 2012

The arrival!
Congratulations on arriving safely in Wanaka! Thanks for keeping us posted on the trip. I reckon youve had a good taste of what NZ has to offer. Look forward to seeing you back this way before too long. It has to be better than Basingstoke! Love and happy Christmas from Richard and Kath xx ps thanks for the card! soooo organised!
17th December 2012

Wanaka to Dunedin to Timaru to Christchurch to Akoroa to.......
Lovely to hear from you, we are still on the move but will be returning to Wanaka for Christmas. Seems so sad that we won't see you for far too long! Always welcome in Kingsclere we will be there in April but will try to come back to NZ in the future
16th December 2012

2013 anzac tours
Samyeli anzac tours 2013 anzac tours operated by samyeli Gallipoli Tours Turkey get you to the Anzac Day Dawn Service at Anzac Cove , Gallipoli , as well as the Australia service at Lone Pine memorial and the New Zealand service at Chunuk Bair memorial. Samyeli Travel have several Anzac day gallipoli tours turkey 2013 from 2 days to 16 days. Our experience We operate Gallipoli tours to the Gallipoli battlefields every day of the year, in fact, we even have a branch office near Gallipoli at Canakkale. Since 2000, we have been one of the biggest tour operators for Anzac Day Tours . Our head tour guides are the best Gallipoli tour guides and will brief and train our 50 or so other licensed guides that we need to employ for our Anzac day gallipoli tours turkey Quick Destinations

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0845s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb