Happy New Year (Kaikoura to Wanaka)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well its been a few days since we've been in touch, so firstly Happy New Year to you all! We entered the new year 13 hours ahead of you this year, and have had a great 2012 so far.

We have lots of news to catch up on since we last blogged. On our last morning in Kaikoura, we woke to a grey day which promised drizzle so we pressed on towards Christchurch and found a motel on the outskirts of the city before picking up the campervan the next morning. During our stay there were 2 small earthquakes - one at 10:50pm, which we felt, and apparently another at 5am. Only lasting a few seconds, but still quite an experience. So we were fairly glad to collect the camper and leave the city the next day. Drizzle as we drove away from the east coast heading across to the west coast where sunshine was forecast.

We then drove south along the coast passing the old gold mining towns, where we had a go at panning for gold.. we found a few specs which have been bottled up for us ... not enough to make any jewellery sadly!

We celebrated new year in a campsite next to the beach at Otariko. True to the forecast, the east has been enjoying some beautiful weather, so we had a lovely clear evening and we sat on the beach as the sun went down. No late night for us, as we were up early on 1st Jan to do a guided walk on Franz Josef glacier.

Blue sky again as we donned crampons and set off to walk on the glacier. Sadly the glacier is retreating up the valley at a rate of 70cm a week, and also reducing in height by about 1 metre a month, so those of you who visited it several years ago will notice a big change from your own photos. However it was an amazing day out and we climbed through ice caves and saw some amazing views.

Today we drove from the glaciers to Wanaka, which seems to be where the rest of New Zealand has been hiding! We luckily booked a campsite this morning as have arrived to find the town completely packed out. We have a powered site which means we can plug the campervan in and use all the plug sockets, and generally live a bit more comfortably. Beautiful drive down here along a rugged coast line and then inland to see bright blue lakes and towering mountain scenery. Woke to cloud but it has cleared into a very warm sunny day.

Sorry to go on for so long, F


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



2nd January 2012

WOW
Happy New Year to you both, what a wonderful way to see in 2012. the Glacier looks great loving seeing all the photos. Have a great time in the camper, it looks really comfortable. Mum XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb