Its Cold up a Glacier!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
September 28th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

12-15am - Having been fully infected by Claires extreme cold we awoke today both eager and yet slightly dismayed at the fact that we are to climb a giant glacier.

Wrapped up warm we plooded down to the centre to be suited and booted with our waterproofs, stunning hats and mittens (Claire was happy) and some kickass army boots, complete with spikes for the ice. When ready we got a bus down to the carpark and hiked to, then up the glacier.

Wow. What a view and what a crazy, exhilirating experience. Walking, and slightly stomping up pure ice that seemingly emerges from no-where is a slightly odd feeling and as we reach higher points the ices height increases making beautiful but claustrophobic pathways. Being surrounded by dazzling white and with no route other than up through small tunnelways that did not seem as though I could fit was magical if ever so slightly scary and the whole trip was (dare i say it again) Surreal.

Having photographed the untouchable beauty surrounding us and going higher into the glaciers we then headed back to stable ground and along many rocky, cragged edges to get back to the coach. For some unknown reason i noticed that a slightly larger and somewhat timid lady was heading down a steep course (used just by the agile) and as i pointed out to Claire that "This isnt going to end well for the lady" she slipped.

I admit i was slightly bemused but bounded over to help the increasingly shakey lady and after Claire leaping over the rocks to get the guide and myself helping her up and across the boulders we got not one word of thanks. How kind human nature is.

After getting back to the car we drove to Greymouth. It was a difficult journey as exhaustion had kicked in from the cold, hiking in the ice and the constant travelling so as soon as we checked into a hostel named Noah's Ark and after food i fell straight asleep. Now just watched a movie and back in bed surrounded by tissues.

Bloody infectious Claire. Great day though.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb