Arthurs Pass and Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
April 24th 2007
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My hostel and the view of the mountainsMy hostel and the view of the mountainsMy hostel and the view of the mountains

hmm this nice weather in this pic was the day before i was to do my treck:(
Well after a week in Christchurch with family, i left to travel new zealand. I caught the coast to coast bus at 8 and set off through some very nice country side seeing some of the places where bits of the chronicles of narnia were shot. To pass the time i listened to music and read my book and got speaking to a german girl from Hamburg.

Well we finally made it to greymouth after a very scenic trip aqnd i have to say one of the best bus rides, in terms of scenery i have been on. We only had to wait about 15 minutes before the Stray bus picked us up and took us to Franz Josef, where i would be planning to do a glacier walk. After a few stops and some more nice scenery we arrived into Franz Josef. We were designated our rooms and i ended up in a room with two americans (Kimberley and Jean) and the German girl Mareike. The first night as we were up early for the glacier walk we just ended up chatting and reading and then falling to sleep.

The next day as i had signed up
Castle RocksCastle RocksCastle Rocks

rocks that look like ruins of a castle on the way to Arthurs Pass
for the 3/4 day glacier walk i was allowed a lay in, Kimberley and Jean however signed up for the full day and were off at 8. I made it to the meeting point and we put our gear on and then got on the bus and then just as we were about to set off we were told the weather was too dangerous up there and so if we wanted we could do it the next day, however the weather forecast for the next day was just as bad so i got my refund and headed back. I was quite sad about not being able to do the glacier walk but when it started thundering and lightning it was sort of a blessing in disguise. Kimberley and Jean ended up back two hours early after them having to turn back and they said it was pretty scary up there as it was raining like a monsoon and the wind was very very strong and on to of that there was lightning!

That night we headed to the bar as we had nothing better to do and had a few drinks and then went back to the room and ended up having a bit of a discussion about religion which ended up getting rather heated between Jean and Kimberley. After that calming down me and Kimberley (as she is studying poltics and so did i) had a chat about politics and that sort of thing and the other two fell to sleep. Finally after an hour or so we too fell asleep. Deciding we had bored the other two enough for one night!

That night i wouldnt say i had the best nights sleep as a group of americans stood right outside our door being very very loud and then some guy started playing a didgeridoo at 4:30 in the morning. I would be lying if i said that i didnt want to inflict serious harm on this person, thankfully i never got up to find out who it was.

The next day back we got on the bus for our ride to Wanaka.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Mt RollestonMt Rolleston
Mt Rolleston

just one of the mountains we passed by on the coast to coast bus.
Glacial RiverGlacial River
Glacial River

It really was an amzing turqouise and i dont think the picture does it justice.
The trip that never wasThe trip that never was
The trip that never was

yep theres me all excited and ready to go climbing a glacier but the elements had something else to say about that!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb