Latest installment


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
November 26th 2006
Published: November 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Its been a while. But we just don't seem to have that much time for blogging since we got the campervan as we are contantly trying to get places. But the van is fantastic.

We have had mixed blessings with the weather, some days have been fantastically sunny and others pissing with rain, but as they say New Zealands is a country that can have all the seasons in one day so I guess we are lucky we haven't had any snow yet.

We are at Franz Josef at the moment and waiting to do our Heli Hike this afternoon, weather permitting. Hoping the enormous breakfast we had whilst watching Wales' miserable defeat against the All Blacks this morning will provide us with enough energey for the two hours hiking on the ice...!

Well, the seal swimming in Kaikora was amazing. Rich, despite his fears, was not attacked by any seals, though nearly lost his head when he tried to get a bit too close to one sunbathing on the rock and it almost went for him. But that was his own fault, they are not agressive animals and were more than happy to swim with us and were so graceful in the water. We were so close you could stroke their backs as they swam past. It was fantastic and if you ever had an opportunity to go swimming with seals we both strongly recommend that you do. Some photos to follow hopefully.

Since Kaikora on the east coast we have crossed over to the west coast via Arthur's pass. Which true to form was pissing with rain the whole time so we didn't stop to do any walks. Also the one we particularly wanted to do, the Devils punch bowl was closed due to part of it having collapsed so we just stopped and gorged ourselves on pizza in the pub instead!

As usual we have made some more winery stops, in Waipara Valley, new up and coming wine region for New Zealand, particularly famous for pinot noir by the way. Where we had a fantastic meal and enjoyed a good bottle of Pinot Rose to wash it down with.

Also spent a night at Castle Rock, where we were advised by the lady in the information site in Springfield that there was a paddock we could park in in the Castle Rock village, which on arrival we discovered was in fact a golf course! But that didn't deter us and as no one was there because it seemed they were mainly Alpine holiday homes, we duly camped right beside the first tee! Where we enjoyed a particularly good bottle of La Strada Pinot Noir, from the Fromm Winery in Marlbourgh, 2004. Dad see if you can pick up a bottle its bloody lovely! Apparently they do import to england.

Oh one slight problem is that our Thetford toilet has broken! Whoopps. We have had to take out the fuse as the flush wouldn't stop, but we can still use it as we just use the shower to flush it with now. Very hyginic.

Rich did want to write something, but he's temporarily forgotten, but I am sure as soon as he remembers he will let you all know.

But that's about all for now. Fingers crossed we can get some photos on.

Miss you all loads, loads of love Rach and Rich xxxxxxxxx

Sorry guys, something up with computer can only get a couple of photos on. Will try again later. Got to go get ready for Heli Hike now, wish us luck! xx



Advertisement



26th November 2006

Thetford
Swimming with those seals looks amazing! I commiserate with you on the Thetford - we also had a few problems and had to resort to flushing with the shower, one thing I don't miss from being away is cleaning it out!! Also your camper is way posher than ours, not that I'm jealous of course... Lots of love K xx
28th November 2006

Thetford
Hi Kate - sorry to upclass you guys on the camper. But it was mainly due to leaving the booking until too late and there only being a 4+2 camper left, certainly feels pretty luxurious compared to the 2 person ones we see around. But believe me there are a few downsides as well, particularly parking and also its eats up a lot more fuel! But at least its deisel which helps. Thankfully the Thetford has unofficially become Rich's domain, I merely get to use it!!! He gets to do all the emptying and cleaning. Not that I have refused to do it, he has just assumed the role. Lucky me! Though after writing this I fear that may change. Hope all's well in Salisbury. Any luck on the job front? loads of love Rachxxxx

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb