Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
December 13th 2013
Published: December 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today the weather was lovely when we woke up, and the sky was really clear over Lake Wanaka. I went for a little stroll whilst Daryl, Gareth and Michelle did some phys, and Jan Den Laura and Rhydian took the boys for a walk. Reuben went for a splash in the lake, which he said was good, but freezing. The view over the lake was gorgeous, and I took some photos whilst it was all calm and still with few people milling around.

It was my turn to have a go at driving this morning, so I did a little bit to the first stop as we headed towards Haast Pass. The views were stunning and the roads were quite nice to drive, but I still took it easy as I'd never driven a camper before. Gatch and Den kept asking if I had it in reverse as I was driving that slow! We stopped for a brew and had a little look around the gift shop and bought some bits. There was a warning of road closures along the Haast pass where there had been a landslide at Diana Falls, and when we got there there was quite a bit of rock strewn across the road.

We stopped at Haast beach for a bit of lunch and had a dip in the sea, the waves came crashing in and swept Reubs off his feet so another change of clothes was in order before we set off again.

It was quite a long drive today, but we had to get to Fox, especially as we'd been advised not to drive the Haast at night, as it was dangerous due to the risk of landslides and avalanches. We had a quick look at the glacier to decide on a walk for tomorrow before wee headed to the campsite. This was really well catered for and Reuben played in the park and went on the trampoline whilst Michelle got busy in the kitchen and made us all a lovely pasta Bolognese.

After that we had round 1 of the quiz I'd made up, and a few beers. To give you a taster of some of the questions: what items did Jan loose within 12 hours of arriving in New Zealand?A: Her glasses and pen, and other questions based on observations of the holiday so far.

The showers here were lovely, it was a cracking campsite. It was Rhyd and Laus turn now to get up in the top bunk, so Daryl and I were in the bed at the back of the van tonight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb