Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
March 7th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today we bid a fond fairwell to Queenstown. After a light breakfast, we once again were on the road heading towards the West Coast to Fox Glacier. We drove up over the mountains passing beautiful lakes, rivers, streams, livestock grazing in the fields. The scenery here is amazing. We stopped along the way to take photos and stopped at a wayside restaurant for lunch. After lunch, it didn't seem long at all befoe we arrived at the first sighting of Fox Glacier. It was a 10 minute walk down a path that gave a far off view of the glacier. In the distance we saw a car park which was a lot closer so we set off in that direction. Along the way, there were markers along the road which showed where the glacier had once been. Once at the car park, it became apparent that a hike would be involed. Greg kept coaxing us to go a little further until we finally were as far as we could go. It was a strenuous hike, but well worth the trip. John was excited about all the granite all along the trail.

Our destination for the evening was at the Fox

John loves his granite slabs!
Glacier Mountain View B&B where we hoped to get a view of Mount Cook. Karen, the owner, showed us to our rooms and then we met with her for tea and a short orientation about all the things and places to go. Our time is limited here and so we decided to have dinner at Matheson Lake Restaurant and then afterward walk down to the lake to see if we could see Mt. Cook. It had been shrouded in clouds all day, and often will come out at dusk. Also, down by the lake at dusk, you can see the reflection of the mountains in the lake. It looked like things were clearing up and we did see parts of the mountain, but not in all its glory. We went back to our rooms exhausted by the day's activities with the hopes that we would be able to see the mountain in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mt. CookMt. Cook
Mt. Cook

Beginning to clear.
Mt. CookMt. Cook
Mt. Cook

Peak just starting to clear.
Mt. CookMt. Cook
Mt. Cook

Getting g hopeful!
Matheson LakeMatheson Lake
Matheson Lake

Reflections
Highland CattleHighland Cattle
Highland Cattle

Kind of fluffy,
Electric FenceElectric Fence
Electric Fence

Greg, always the jokester.


11th March 2013

reflections
That Matheson Lake photo is breathtaking. Good job GG!

Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb