Fox Glacier and Mt Cook


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
December 9th 2012
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast at Fox GlacierBreakfast at Fox GlacierBreakfast at Fox Glacier

In the shadow of Mount Cook
After a good meal in the White Pub at Fox Glacier we had a good night. I watched "The Man who moved Mountains" again on DVD to see where I had been and to review the next big field trip location - Pigeon Bush on the North Island.

Woke to find the mist of last night had disappeared to leave a hot and beautiful summer's morning. Had breakfast outside to the sounds of the helicopters taking people up the glacier and someone singing 'White Christmas'. Being here and knowing that it is only 16 days to Christmas is very strange.

And then a slight detour to Fox Glacier. A short walk up the valley from the car park takes you to the snout of the glacier and the zone of melting (ablation). From here all the main glacial features of a typical valley glacier can be studied. U-shaped valley, hanging valleys, crevasses etc though for a geologist the glacial moraine outwash plains and the sedimentary environment which is currently depositing the sands, gravels, bounders and clay are the most important features.

Uniformitarianism (the Present is the Key to the Past) -landscape of Britain is also covered by similar deposits and features indicating our glacial past.

And so onward to Cromwell and a 'barbie' tonight, I think!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Fox GlacierFox Glacier
Fox Glacier

The 'ablasion zone'. Geology students note the features!
Fox glacierFox glacier
Fox glacier

The snout - still retreating since 1750.
Fox GlacierFox Glacier
Fox Glacier

The 'accumulation zone'


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb