Lonely Graves.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Curio Bay
December 11th 2012
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have finally lost confidence in Freda (Freda 'Pain' that is - our sat-nav)! We decided to take a short detour off the main route to visit 'Lonely Graves' which took us 6 km down an unsealed road. Freda insisted that we should not and that a u-turn was advisable before we were all killed. She can be such a pain at times! Her advise was ignored and we arrived safely! However, rebuffed by our first refusal, Freda then insisted that we should continue a further 8 km along the track where we would come out safely at the next junction. As the road deteriorated and narrowed (so no chance of turning around in a 7 metre motor home) and the wooden planked bridges over the numerous chasms got more rickerty, Freda was suddenly quiet, having reaped revenge and retribution for not taking her advise previously. Sue also said nothing (her white knuckles telling their own story) but she has aged considerably by the process! We made it - eventually but this is the last we will speak of it again. There are not photos!

The story of the 'Lonley Graves' is endearing. According to popular legend, in 1865 William Rigney found the body of a young man in the river at Horseshoe Bends. Despite an extensive search, the young man's identify could not be established so Rigney buried the body in a simple ceremony and invited the local community to act as mourners. Without a name, Rigney engraved a piece of wooden plank to go over the grave which simply read 'Somebody's Darling' as he reasoned that someone, somewhen, somewhere must have loved him. In 1903 a more fitting grave was erected which incorporated the original inscription. When Rigney died himself in 1912 he was buried next to the soul he had not forgotten in death so that, perhaps, he too would not be forgotten either. Both graves now rest on the side of a hill above the river in this most idyllic graveyard for two.

Of course, that is just a story; the truth is probably rather different. However, it is interesting to note that two people with no connection to the story should choose to make a detour on their journey 100 years later (despite their sat-nav), to pay their respects and pray for their souls.

Perhaps Rigney got his reward!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb